Monday, October 10, 2016

How would a 3D character be expressed in a 2D world?

This week has been amazing and full of lots of great hard work. My companion does a great job helping me learn Swedish, and learn it I am! Jag tro.  I can speak decent Swedish, but on the streets my pronunciation gets caught in my nose and I have a super hard time speaking because I'm trying so hard to match everyone's pronunciation. It's weird, but ya. In Skånland people talk super high in their mouths, like the end of the Y in 'by' while breathing out of your nose with your tongue along the roof of your mouth, but they do that for everything. So when I stick out my hand and say my normal routine it ends up sounding like I'm trying to blow my nose while I talk. But the worst part is that's kinda normal. Especially for the girls. The girls here in Lund talk super weird, like, if you didn't know Swedish it really would sound like the Swedish chef. There you have it! The fun fact of the day! The Swedish Chef if actually a female!

As for our investigators, the work is slow but successful. We don't have a ton of investigators, but the ones we do have are all very interested in our message. Unfortunately we did have to drop a couple of people this week because they were not so much interested in conversion but bible discussion. They were super nice and funny and open to sharing what they struggle with and stuff, but they firmly believed in grace saving everyone and did not accept the BOM or Joseph Smith or even the need for Priesthood. Anyways, I still love them and something my companion keeps saying is even if someone doesn't accept the gospel and Gods plan now, they have kept their first estate.

The picture is a great one my comp took. For those of you who can't read Swedish, it's a poster for a missing cat named Wilson, full of a nice description on the characteristics of Wilson and pleading to call some number if you see him. Sorry for not a lot of pictures, because Lund is super beautiful and has cobble stone roads and massivie stone churches and all this cool stuff, but I never really think about taking a picture, sorry. I'll try to get more this week.

Back in the MTC, one of the Öldungers enjoyed deep theoretical questions, and he was talking about dimensions one day and said something I keep thinking about for some reason. Basically, if I were a 2D character and I met a 3D character, I would only be able to see his 2D characteristics. So if I were to draw a 2D box around this 3D person, I would be unable to comprehend how this 3D person stepped around the box.

So basically, I have created two events in my head. Both of them occur on a football field, and height and width are the same for both characters. In the fist situation, the 2D characters time corresponds to the 3D characters time, but mr. 2D is stuck on the 50 yard line. Then if mr. 2d puts a 2d box around mr. 3d, mr. 3d steps sideways, forwards, then back to the 50 yd. line and, to mr. 2d's eyes, magically escaped an inescapable box. Basically, mr. 3d has unparalleled control over mr. 2d's physical world.

In the other situation, mr. 2d's time corresponds to mr. 3d's depth. So at t=0, mr. 2d is on the 0 yd. line. At t=.00001, mr. 2d is on the .00001 yd line. In t=.00002, mr. 2d is on the .00002 yd line. Do this for the entire length of the field, and you get a mr. 2d tube, a solid shape that represents 100 seconds of mr. 2d's life. Now put Mr. 3d on the field, and he has a very strange ability to interact with mr. 2d's time. If he stands on the 20 yd. line and watches mr. 2d draw a box around him, the box doesn't even start to exist until t=20, so mr. 3d can step to the 19 yd line and get around the box, but in so doing he also changes when mr. 2d first sees him, changing when mr. 2d begins to draw the box. Well, time's up now, so I'll have to leave this with you with this not fully explained. I have more thoughts on the matter, but they'll have to wait 2 years. Basically, the moral of the story is that I need to better anticipate what to write about, so I can email home better stuff about my mission, not about mr. 2d and mr. 3d. 

MVH,
Äldste Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment